Looking for a truly unique experience? Join us in our facility and put your hands to work building your very own skis.
Be one of just few people who can say “I built my skis”. Learn how skis are built and put your hands to work on your own creation. Thoroughbred ski-building experts will be there to guide you through the building process. Build your custom ride at Thoroughbred the way you’ve always wanted it to be.
Be as involved as you like by choosing to participate in any 1, 2 or all 3 days of the journey to build your skis:
Day 1: about 6 hrs; starting with the raw materials, we cut the core to the shape of the skis, attach the sidewalls, and profile the core thinning the tip and tail to set the ski flex profile. All the other materials are also prepared (base, reinforcement layers, edges, and top sheet). The press is set up for your personal ski design with the rocker, camber profile we design just for you. Involves working with wood cutting equipment and exposure to wood dust.
Day 2: about 7 hours; skis are assembled, set in the press and set to cure in the oven over night. Sounds boring but this is when you see how a state-of-the-art ski goes together. Involves working with fibreglass or carbon fiber with protection to reduce skin exposure, also epoxy resin with mild fumes.
Day 3: about 6 hrs; the pressed skis emerge from the oven. Trimming the rough skis to their final form, base preparation and grinding and precision tuning. Requires full hazardous materials protective clothing and mask (supplied) to minimise exposure to glass/carbon fiber and other fine dust sources. Includes optional binding mounting.
Sign up to join a workshop.
We start by getting to know you and your passion for skiing. To prepare the first consultation session efficiently, we need some basic information about you. Simply complete the Workshop and Design Form and we will contact you to arrange your personal hands-on experience.
7 steps to your ski workshop:
- Sign up by filling out the questionnaire.
- We call for a consultation to learn more about what you are looking for in your skis, and develop a proposed design. Also, set a preliminary schedule.
- You review the design, and we refine until it is just what you are looking for.
- Choose from the 1, 2 or 3 day option.
- We send you a reservation confirmation email with the 25% deposit payment details.
- After receipt of payment we send you the booking confirmation via email including further information about the workshop.
- Arrive at the workshop and build your ride!
If you are looking for a European experience visit our friends at SpurArt in Innsbruck, Austria to join one of their workshops.